Thanks for stopping by our wedding website! Mike and Susie were married on July 16, 2011!
See our photos
A new hand made Hylian shield for my Twilight Princess Link costume.
When I first made my Link costume 4 years ago, I thought that making a shield by myself would be impossible, so I ordered a replica online (pictured on the left below).
However, as good as this shield looks, it has some problems. It weighs over 8 pounds and it gets tiring to carry around all day. The handle is made with really cheap materials and kept breaking. If it breaks during a day at a convention, I don't have a drill around to redrill the holes to repair it. The shape is also inaccurate to the Twilight Princess shield design. In addition, every other part of my costume I made myself and when people ask, "Wow your costume is great. Did you make all of that yourself?" I proudly say "Yes I did!" and then they say "Wow the shield is the BEST PART." and then I have to embarrassingly reply with that's the one thing I DIDN'T make.
Since I've been so successful with making craft foam props for my Zelda wedding, it didn't seem impossible anymore to make my own shield. This shield (pictured right below) is made totally from craft foam, hot glue gun glue, and acrylic paints. It weighs almost nothing, looks more accurate, and I can finally say "I made my whole costume myself." It still needs a few minor details and refinement on the paint. But it was good enough to show off on Halloween day.
|From Link Costume, the making of|
Here's an inprogress shot of what it looked lilke before the paint:
|From Link Costume, the making of|
Just as the Master Sword in Zelda laid sleeping in the forest, I've been sleeping on the blog posts.
I haven't posted for a while because I've been waiting for the professional photos to be ready. Just saw them yesterday and I'll be getting the high res files soon and making more blog posts.
In the meantime, here's a quick taste. I love this shot because it reminds me so much of Zelda and some of the official art that has been created. Amazing. And I didn't even instruct them to do it either.
Photo by JLPhotografia
It seemed fitting for our sweet heart table to have the Zelda Piece-of-heart as a centerpiece. To dress it up more, I created a foliage arrangement inside a treasure chest with rupees and jewels.
The chest is a ready made chest found at a craft store. The foliage is made from preserved moss, plastic jewels, fake ferns and ivy, moss rocks, mini pine cone filler. The heart piece is made from plastic custom cut at Tap Plastics and craft foam for the red heart, painted with liquitex acrylic paints and glitter glue. The rupees are paper craft.
My new husband will always have a piece of my heart ^.^
Believe it or not, it's made from Playtex gentle glide tampon holders. No I'm not joking. I got the idea from TamponCrafts.com.
Other materials include craft foam for the front plate, beads, cross stitch floss, and liquitex paint.
So I learned that there's a technique called bunting where you take triangles of fabric and sew them inbetween a thin strip of fabric to create banners. I thought this would be suitable for the wedding because its a quick and easy way to add color to various areas of the venue and it also has a medieval look to it.
I also painted a water pattern and a few triforces to make it more Zelda-ish.
I created three signs; table assignments, bathroom, and spirits (for the bar!). Pictured below are a couple of the signs as well as the favors as they were displayed on the favors table.
The favors doubled as table assignments and contained the guest's name and a picture of the centerpiece of their table, so they would know visually what table they were to go to.